The Restoration Shop purchased a P-40 project in August 2011. The project arrived from Iowa via truck, courtesy of Mercury Aircraft. The project consists of the wreckage of three of these historic WWII fighters, two of which crashed following a mid-air collision in the Everglades in 1943. The third is one from a crash at St. Simon Island at about the same time. This will be a long term restoration project.
The Curtiss P-40 has a great connection to Hammondsport as the tail surfaces and belly tanks were made by Mercury Aircraft. Much more to follow as we get into the historical records furnished with the project.